Are you writing anything?
Anything at all? It could be a letter to a friend (probably not snail mail these days), but at least a long message on Messenger or via email. It could be a report for work. It could be a blog post. It could even be your entry for Umoja Writing Competition 2016.
If you’re not writing, why not? You are a part of this writing community of over 500 followers if you’re reading this. You are a writer aren’t you? Writers need to write.
I try to write every day, be it at work or at home. If I’ve done a lot of marketing and social media at work I’ll take a break at home and perhaps read a good book instead, but I am writing every day in some form (or writing these and other blog posts).
Writing every day hones your skills as a writer. Here’s some tricky ideas to get more writing into your day:
- Get up earlier. You can even go for a walk first to clear the head (exercise is known to boost creativity). That way you’ll have time to write before you head off to work or get the kids to school.
- Get a job involving writing (journalism, web editing, marketing – just some).
- Start a blog. You can write about the things you are passionate about.
- Join a writers group. Like-minded souls encouraging each other in their passion for writing.
- Doodle a poem on your desk pad while you’re waiting for someone.
- If you’ve read a book that had an ambiguous ending write your own.
- Write letters to your loved ones and leave them around the house so they can find them and enjoy them.
- Write a thank you note to someone who has done something kind to you.
- Volunteer at your local club to be the newsletter editor.
- Enter this competition.
Now all you have to do is choose one and get writing. We’ll give you more writing tips next week and if you have any great ideas to get people writing please COMMENT below.
If you chose to enter this competition. Get your entry form at ENTRY FORM.